Thursday, August 27, 2009

Book 5/60: Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman

I have to admit that I've been looking forward to this one. (The anticipation of its awesomeness led me to place it directly after The Road in case the previous novel was as much of a downer as I was warned it would be) There were roughly eight million Neil Gaiman recommendations on my list (okay, like four or five), making Gaiman easily the most-recommended author on the list. I've heard from several friends over the past few years that Gaiman is the greatest writer in the history of the written word. This book is Mr. G's first solo novel, and I was told that this was the place to start when examining Gaiman's cannon, and thus here we are. (Though technically, I've already read one work of his--Stardust--so I'm not really starting here, but it's close)

Old friends Christopher Moore (author of #2) and Stephen King (#57) love Gaiman and Neverwhere, as do a lot of other authors noted for their creativity and fantasy. The back flap can barely contain all the praises and still fit a decent-sized picture of the author.

You have hype to live up to, Mr. G.

Stats: 337 pages
Published by Avon Books, New York, 1996
Awards: None, though it has been translated into Polish, Portuguese, Czech, German, Hebrew, Italian, Russian, Bulgarian, Dutch, Serbian, Brasillian Portuguese, Romanian, Finnish, Latvian, Hungarian, Chinese, Danish, and comic book.

No Oprah book club, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment