Tuesday, August 25, 2009

You, too, can write like Cormac McCarthy's "The Road"!

They stumbled along. It was dark and they were cold, but there was no place to stop. The man put his hand on the boy's head. The boy didnt react. He was barely awake.
I'm hungry.
I know.
Can we stop?
We can't stop yet.
I really want to stop.
We can't stop yet. It's too out in the open here. I'm sorry. Soon.
Are the bad guys close?
I don't know.
I'm really scared.
It's okay.
He put one arm around the boy's shoulders.
It's okay, he said.
Okay.
The boy grabbed the man's hand. The man noticed he'd dropped his toy truck in the ashy snow somewhere along the way. He wondered if the boy had realized it was gone. He could barely make out some trees a few hundred feet away. They went toward the trees.

No comments:

Post a Comment