Saturday, February 27, 2010

Book 22/63: One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

When a book becomes the second best-selling Spanish book ever (behind only Don Quixote), you gotta think it's doing something right. Colombian author Marquez won a Nobel Prize for Literature. (Or he may have gotten the Nobel Prize for Literature while he was still talking about one day becoming a great author, I'm not entirely sure)

(Boo.)

Anyway, I'm about 60 pages into the book, and it's very funny. The book's cover tells me pretty much nothing about the content, thanks again to the classification stickers/decals of the Houston Public Library. (Wait, that sounds familiar!) The praise on the back is quite high, and a friend recently mentioned this book to me, saying it was one of the best-written things she'd ever read. She told me I needed to read it, which was a little creepy, because just an hour earlier I'd submitted the hold request at HPL.

It's a long book, so you may not see anything from me on this blog for awhile. However, I'm pretty proud of my recent book-a-week pace, so we'll see what I can do. Should be a great read, anyway. Those are my initial thoughts: it should be a great read.

1 comment: